The BLED Green Ways bike rental system is intended for users who are over 14 years old. To use the bike rental system, you need to register with the BLED Green Ways system at the head office of Infocenter Triglavska roža Bled. Upon registering, users will receive a user name and password or, alternatively, a non-transferable Bled card and PIN code. Use of the system is subject to the “General conditions for access to and use of the BLED Green Ways automated bike rental system in the Municipality of Bled” and the Instructions for use.
- Select a bike and check if it has any flaws.
- Approach the kiosk with the LCD screen and tap on the screen to start.
- To login to the system type in your user name or press your Bled card against the designated spot on the LCD display.
- Type in your password (in case of a login using your user name) or PIN code (in case of login using your card) and confirm.
- For bike rental or other services, follow the instructions on the screen.
- If you decide to rent a bike, wait for the system to check all the docking points and inform you which bikes are available. You will be able to choose a number from 1 to 10 (depending on the number of bikes), which also represents the number of bike stands.
- After you select one of the bikes, wait for the system to process your choice and confirm it.
- Following confirmation, you have 20 seconds to approach the bike stand where the selected bike is located and press the silver button to unlock the stand (beeping signal from the lock).
- After pressing the button, grasp the bike with one hand on the seat and the other on the handlebar and with one movement gently push it first forward and then backward and thereby remove the bike from its docking point.
- In the event that for any reason you are not able to remove the bike from its docking point, wait for the beeping sound to shut off, strongly push the bike back into the stand and make sure it is locked; then repeat the rental process from the beginning.
- After a successful rental and ride, just like before only harder, push the bike back into the docking point and thereby lock it. Before leaving you must always check if the bike is actually locked. If you have successfully locked the bike, the button on the lock will turn blue.
- In case you are returning an electric bike please return it to a specifically marked location (locks 1 and 2 are marked with a symbol), if a there is a free lock with electric charging.
- If the button on the lock turns red, this is a warning that the bike has not been correctly placed and therefore the return procedure needs to be repeated.
- In the event that upon your arrival all the bike stands are occupied or there are no free bikes, please wait until the arrival of the maintenance service or go to the next station.
- In case of malfunctions of the bike or rental stand or technical difficulties in renting or returning the bike, please contact the call centre, which is open 24 hour a day, 7 days a week, on the number: +386 (0)1 530 53 03.
- If you need assistance in logging in call +386 (0)4 578 02 05.
Additional instructions fot the rental and use of electric bikes
Article 3 of the Road Traffic Rules Act of the Republic of Slovenia (ZPrCP) specifies that: “bike” is a single-track or double-track vehicle driven by a driver by means of self-propulsion or a bicycle with an auxiliary motor, which is a single-track or double-track vehicle with pedal, equipped with an auxiliary electric motor with the maximum continuous rated power of 0.25 kW, the power of which progressively decreases and finally interrupted when the vehicle reaches the speed of 25 km/h or before, if the cyclist stops pushing the pedals; In accordance with this law, e-bicycles, which you may rent in the “BLED Green Ways” system, may also be modified so that the motor activates automatically and aids the driver only if the driver pedals the bicycle. The final speed is limited to 25 km/h. The bicycle is not equipped with a drive pedal (gas) and activates and operates only if you push on the pedal, thus propelling the bicycle. Otherwise, such bicycle with a gas pedal would qualify as a motorcycle by law.
Assistance power level/shifting “speed”
The electric bike is equipped with an electric motor and assists you in driving the bike. The motor has 5 shifts or levels of assistance and the level settings may be regulated on the module on the right-side of the handlebar by pressing -/+. The numbers 1–5 appear on the module display. In case that the setting on the display is 0, the motor is not assisting. The motor automatically turns on and off based on the driver pedalling or not. When returning the bike, the motor does not need to be and cannot be turned off. The motor automatically turns off and the lights on the module for setting the assistance level turn off after a few minutes of bike non-operation. On the motor assistance power display there is a display of the current battery status in the form of bars (5 bars).
Some instructions for safe and optimal driving with the e-bike
- When starting to drive, always make sure that the motor assistance level is set to 1 or 2. With a full battery and the highest level (5) the thrust of the motor may catch you off guard, in particular if this happens when transitioning from a completely stationary vehicle and as a consequence you may lose control over the bike.
- When you reach the desired speed and you have complete control over the bike and no static obstacles in front of you, no slowly moving road users, congested traffic or situations that would require quick deceleration, you may start shifting up to higher levels of assistance.
- We recommend setting the assistance power to 4 or 5 in case of driving on open cycling paths/roads and clear, open areas.
- In case of driving uphill, it is necessary to shift down to a lower assistance level – level 1 or 2. In such situations you should shift just like when driving your car uphill, when it is always necessary to shift down. Driving at a higher level (3, 4, 5) may result in permanent damage to the electric motor.
- The motor assistance power setting selection also affects the range or battery life. When driving with setting 5 you significantly reduce the range and battery life, conversely, setting 1 will significantly increase it. Consider all of the above when driving the electric bike and combine the settings based on the terrain, the conditions and your desired duration or final distance of the drive.
- If possible, always return the electric bike, locking them in the locks intended for electric bikes (appropriately labelled with a number and socket icon). The bike locked in such a lock will automatically start charging (flashing blue light on the lock button). If all the locks at the bike station intended for charging bikes are occupied, the electric bike may also be locked in a regular lock (labelled only with a number). The bike will be safely locked, but not connected to charging.
- Before heading out for a drive with an electric bike, urgently perform an additional check of the operation of the bike brakes. In case of failure of the brakes on regular bikes, the use of the bike is prohibited, and if driving an electric bike with malfunctioning brakes you risk causing an accident that could result in severe injuries. Driving and using regular and electric bikes is under your sole responsibility.
- Always carefully observe the traffic, all the road users and the traffic conditions and adjust your driving and speed accordingly. When riding a bicycle you must always follow all the applicable road traffic regulations.