The village of Begunje na Gorenjskem is situated in the northernmost part of the Radovljica Plain and is the birthplace of the legend of Slovene popular folk music, Slavko Avsenik. From Bled, it can be reached by car, bus, bicycle or carriage. This typical Gorenjska region village is a good starting point of many hiking trails.
- The Katzenstein manor from 16th century is situated in the centre of the village. In World War II, the German occupation used it as a prison and a torture chamber for Slovenian patriots.
- Hostage Museum is arranged in the former prison cells in the side wing of a Katzenstein Manor.
- The mighty ruins of the Kamen Castle are situated in the north of the village, at the entrance into the Draga Valley.
- Avsenik Museum represents an interesting story of Slovene popular-folk music or »Oberkreiner Muzik« and Avsenik Brothers Ensemble.
- The two-navedChurch of St Peter above Begunje, built in the 16th century is well-known for its frescoes and the views over the Radovljica plain.
- Church of St Ulrich has one of the best examples of a nineteenth-century wall painting monument in Slovenia.
Meet the typical village of the Gorenjska region and its friendly citizens. This village is the birth place of Slavko Avsenik and proudly keeps the memory of him alive. Are you interested in where he got the inspiration for all his musical hits?