Slovenia is a country of four distinct seasons, therefore nature shows us all its treasures! Autumn in Bled creates a breath-taking story of the warm shades of yellow, brown, red and purple colours that reflect on the calm lake surface. Peace is in nature and peace is in people. Take a peek at what you can do in Bled in this season.
Choose an active autumn break in Bled
- A walk around Lake Bled will indulge you with exceptional views of the lake from various perspectives and of the abundance of autumn colours. It will take about an hour and a half, or more if you stop to take photos of this magnificent environment.
Rent a boat and row to the island of Bled, which is the only natural island in Slovenia. Ring the wishing bell and climb to the bell tower, where every 15 minutes you can observe the mechanical oscillation clock in action. At Potičnica try the traditional Slovenian dessert potica which is an essential part of Christmas and Easter culinary tradition.
- If the weather conditions are favourable, you can also visit the spectacular creation of nature – the Vintgar gorge. Just a glimpse from Lake Bled, the clear Radovna River, with the source below Mt Triglav, runs through the narrow gorge and the people in Bled also drink its water! At the end of the gorge, the river drops in the shape of the 13-metre Šum Waterfall. You can observe its powerful flow from the wooden bridge spanning it.
- A beautiful autumn is also the perfect time for hiking. Hike along the numerous hiking trails around Bled or go even higher – to the mountains of the Julian Alps or the Karavanke range. The hills Ojstrica, and Mala and Velika Osojnica along Lake Bled offer a magnificent view of the lake. Or you can take in the beautiful views from other remote panoramic sites: Talež, Hom, Galetovec. If you are lucky, you will be able to enjoy viewing the rising mists over Lake Bled, which are quite frequent in autumn.
- Cycling in Bled and its surroundings in the wonderful autumn atmosphere and pleasant temperatures can also be a thrilling adventure. Would you like to know more about village life in Bled? Visit the villages Selo near Bled, Ribno, Bodešče, Koritno, Zasip, Bohinjska Bela and experience an excursion infused with real village atmosphere. The villages abound in traditional house architecture and farms, and you will frequently meet locals who like to spend their free time in their gardens or walking in the countryside surrounding the villages. Or you will meet them in local inns, where they get together.
- Autumn is the perfect season for various sports activities in nature. But most of them depend on the weather and temperatures. Summer sledding, rafting, canyoning, riding, hot air ballooning, kayak, SUP, diving and other water sports, tennis, beach volleyball are possible until mid-October. You can also play mini golf until the end of October at the oldest mini golf course in Slovenia or you can play golf at the Royal Bled Golf course. Recreational ice-skating is possible from mid-October at Bled Sports Hall. Zip line and sport climbing are available in nice weather throughout autumn.
Zipline Dolinka Bled [Adrenaline sports]
The Zipline Dolinka in Bled offers an 2, 5 hour outdoor experience that combines an adrenalin ride on 5 zipline cables in total length of 2,4 km and a guided natural trip through the protected valley of the Sava Dolinka river.
Enjoy the local cuisine
- Bled cream cake is something that you just cannot miss. It is one of Bled's symbols and for many a good-enough reason to return to Bled. You can try it at several bars and inns around Lake Bled. Something different among culinary products is Bled Cheese which you can taste at selected restaurants or purchase in any of Bled’s stores.
- Other local dishes can also be tasted in various restaurants. Traditional Slovenian dishes include various stews (ričet or barley porridge boiled with beans, jota or bean and sauerkraut hotpot), Carniolan sausage with sauerkraut, buckwheat dough pockets (ajdovi krapi), buckwheat žganci and roast potatoes. To spoil your taste buds, try one of many desserts: Bled cream cake, Blejska grmada or štruklji. Don't forget to try a glass of Slovenian wine or a glass of schnapps (honey brandy, blueberry schnapps or spruce schnapps).
- Slovenia offers premium wines that you can try in one of the wineries in Bled. If you want to find out more about Slovenian wines, attend a two-hour interactive wine tasting session.
- Would you like to know why Slovenia is well-known for bee-keeping? Visit the educational beehive.
- Autumn is the time when nature gives many fruits that you can taste at inns and restaurants in Bled. In November, don't miss out on our food tasting menus within the Taste Bled events that take place for one month at Bled restaurants. Visit the forests around Bled and admire the fruits of nature in their natural environment.
Relax at Lake Bled
- Explore Bled Castle and admire the magnificent view of Lake Bled and its island. The castle features a museum that presents the history of the area and the castle itself. You can make a print of the memorial document like in the past and fill your own bottle of Slovenian wine. Get some refreshment at the local restaurant and enjoy your cup of coffee with a breath-taking view.
- Trust a local "pletna" boatman who will take you to the island of Bled on a traditional pletna boat. Explore the beauty of Lake Bled while being taken to the island and relax by listening to the calming sounds of water. Take a look at the mysterious park of Bled Villa, which used to be the King's residence, and the Belvedere café, where Tito, the President of former Yugoslavia, hosted tea parties with important guests from all over the world.
- A carriage ride around the lake or a visit to Bled's surrounding villages on a horse carriage is also a unique experience. The horse-drawn carriage drivers will take you to various places with great pleasure.
- Would you like to swim and admire the wonderful view of Lake Bled at the same time? Then swimming at one of the hotel pools is the perfect choice. If you want to relax, enjoy a relaxing massage at any of the Bled wellness areas. Sounds perfect for an autumn vacation, doesn't it?
Visit various events in autumn
Autumn is also the time when some of the major events take place. Let's list some of them:
- If you’d rather stay indoors, visit the exhibition about the Gorenjska region and Triglav National Park at the Triglavska roža Info Centre in Bled. There you can also get some other advice on what is worth visiting in Bled.
Have we convinced you that Bled is something worth experiencing in autumn?